Office Depot is seeing an Assistant Store Manager at its Clinton, MD location
The Assistant Store Manager is a role model for superior customer service and responsible for helping create a customer-focused culture in store. The focus for this role is supporting the Manager in leading the store associates and role modeling positive customer-centric behavior. The Assistant Store Manager will provide customer service and sales support and act as Sales Leader, during Depot Time, as assigned by the Store Manager.
The Assistant Store Manager understands and utilizes the proven Office Depot sales principles and ensures associates engage with every customer to provide an exceptional in-store experience. This individual will create a rewarding work environment through regularly assisting the Store Manager in mentoring, motivating, coaching and directing associates.
Additionally, the Assistant Store Manager works with the Store Manager to help oversee overall store operations goals. They must strive to maximize store sales and profitability, through effective merchandise, inventory, operating cost, shrink and expense control.
· Lead by example through acting as a role model for superior customer service and consistently motivating other associates to be customer-focused and sales driven.
· Ensure associates are engaging every customer that enters the store, and they understand and leverage the Office Depot selling program in every customer interaction.
· Maximize store sales and ensure 100% of customers buy what they came for.
· Contribute to Achieving established store goals for planned sales and profit
· Train, coach and mentor associates on Office Depot’s selling culture and take personal responsibility for the performance and results of self, organizational unit and function
Perform Sales Leader functions when requested by the Store Manager. During Depot Time this includes:
· Assigning and coordinating associates in zone coverage
· Roaming the sales floor to make sure every customer is being proactively helped
· Backfilling associates as they leave their zones
· Practicing skills and coach on selling techniques
· Ensuring NO tasks are being performed (light recovery only)
· Outside of Depot Time, in addition to the above:
o Provide sales updates on the daily performance board to motivate the associates
o Ensure the freight team is completing freight processes efficiently and on time
o Perform store opening / closing activities when directed by the Store Manager
· Outside of Depot Time:
o Ensure store is neat, clean, and well-stocked, adhering to company policies regarding signing labeling and merchandise presentation.
· Acting as Sales Leader when assigned by the Store Manager, ensure CPD area is efficient and exceeds customer expectations in service and quality by implementing express services when back-ups occur, ensuring 5S are completed and following RPF utilization guidelines.
· Ensure the freight team is finishing the processes accurately and on-time.
· Assist in the store opening and closing processes when assigned by the Store Manager.
· Assist in managing the assets of the store by monitoring inventory levels, initiating action to correct inventory problems and ensure appropriate merchandise flow-through and replenishment processes are in place by directing the activities of the store team.
· Assist the Store Manager to ensure inventory and expense financial controls are appropriately executed, by verifying that all administrative functions are performed correctly, and routinely reviewing all operational processes including receiving, data entry, cash handling and payroll control.
· Implement loss prevention policies and procedures to reduce shrink.
Human Resource Management Responsibilities:
· Provide direction, coaching and counsel to store associates and ensure legal compliance to Federal and State law and company policies and procedures
· Assist Store Manager in monitoring and planning personnel needs based on established scheduling guidelines when. Take action within company guidelines to maintain optimal store staffing levels at all times.
· Assisting the Store Manager in ensuring compliance with the internal development program (IDP) and performance improvement plans (PIP), and progressive discipline for associates.
· Review and provide input on other associates’ appraisals, as appropriate.
· Support all current company programs, to include but not limited to the following: I Promise, price
· changes, Market Basket, merchandise markdowns, Worklife Rewards, Star Teacher, PPPs, Tech
· Depot Services, meal period and rest break compliance and special initiatives.
Education & Experience
· High school diploma or GED; Bachelor’s degree preferred
o Area of Study: Business, Marketing, Retail Management preferred
· Three years experience in related field
· Store management experience, including at least 1 year as an Assistant Store Manager or Department Manager, preferably in a mid-size to large retail sales and service-oriented environment.
· Must possess the ability to use computers and technology for information, and to access information necessary to complete the job.
· Must possess ability to process information/merchandise through POS register system.
· Previous knowledge of workplace safety regulations and office products, technology and services, or other retail products is preferred.
· Must possess outstanding communication, leadership and interpersonal skills, which are necessary to establish a selling relationship with customers and model skills for direct reports.
· Must be able to effectively lead, coach and manage others in a professional environment.
· Must be able to plan, prioritize and implement detailed instructions in a timely and efficient manner, working independently, as well as with others.
· Must possess sound judgment and people management abilities.
· Must be adaptable to a changing environment and able to consistently achieve goals despite stress.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this classification and are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of associates so classified. Other duties may be assigned. Job Descriptions are subject to change at any time.